Friday, March 8, 2013

TGIF!

Happy Friday! You’ll notice a new look to The Speechie.  What do you think? I found my chevron background for free at tinysea.  Thank you for this adorable fabric chevron pattern! I'm in love! Go visit their other patterns :)

Also you’ll notice that The Speechie should be a little easier to navigate, and read :) I'm still in the process of getting rid of some of the labels you see in the cloud to make categories more specific and less all-over-the-place.  But it takes time, people. :)

PS I have to thank to my friends on twitter @lessonpix and @azspeechguy for your suggestions!  Keep them coming! (Check out @azspeechguy’s blog the-speechguy.com)

I promised I would tell you what the "surprise" was for my special group of kiddos today... and here it is... "Pampering Day!"  Our Life Skills classroom had to earn this day of pampering presented to you by their resident SLP (that'd be me) and their wonderful Life Skills teacher, and classroom aides.  Our kids need a break every once in a while to relax and take care of their bodies, too!  We filed nails, applied lotion, painted nails and chatted about hygiene.  Each kiddo took home a Bath & Body Works treat bag with a mini hand sanitizer, mini loofah, and chapstick!
They were so excited all day leading up to our afternoon of primping.  The boys looked less than enthusiastic but they TOTALLY loved the cookie-scented sanitizer and the sugary smelling lotion.  Who doesn't love those smells? What a happy way to end the day! Their teacher did a great job of keeping it a surprise, too! Thanks Mrs. B!

Also the late nights of staying up to accomplish the things on my "To-Do" list are paying off... I am proud to announce I am now an official registered user of the ASHA NOMS system!

ASHA NOMS?  What's that you ask?

It's ASHA's National Outcomes Measurement System (NOMS), a voluntary data collection system developed to illustrate the value of speech-language pathology services provided to adults and children with communication and swallowing disorders (ASHA.org).  NOMS uses a 7-point rating scale to rate each functional area.  To read more go to ASHA NOMS website.  I was really proud to pass on the first try, and don't know why I was so nervous!  I know currently only 2 of my places of employment use this system, but it's great to have this in my toolkit!

And some info I think you may find useful, while I was at my second job yesterday, one of the clinicians I know was nice enough to tell me that PassyMuir has FREE CEU'S!!!  Whoop.  Always down for those.  Especially when they directly relate to my newest part-time job pickup (hospital setting, trachs & vents).

No comments:

Post a Comment

My TpT Store!

Blogging tips